Sunday, February 19, 2012

Vegan Mexican Pozole

Several months ago I found out I have an allergy to soy which was initially very troubling. As a vegan I relied heavily on soy products to compliment my diet and as a major source of protein. It was difficult at first, particularly since so many products contain soy. Now that I have made this transition and am embracing this new way of eating, I find I am concentrating more on vegetables and grains as the major staples in my diet, and I've got to say, I feel terrific!

There are few things in the culinary world that I enjoy more than spicy food, and this lovely Mexican Pozole just makes me smile. It certainly has all the components of  a hearty and delicious stew, and yet it is surprisingly piquant with the addition of the sweet potatoes to off set the heat. Dress it up any way you choose. Garnish with vegan sour cream, avocados, cilantro, tortilla strips, and serve with some wonderful corn bread to complete the meal. Enjoy!


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 3 cups diced sweet potatoes
  • 1 28oz. can Hominy drained
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 Tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 2/3 teaspoon oregano
  • 2 -14.5oz diced and fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles
  • 4 cups good vegetable broth
  • ½ cup lime juice
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil


DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in large stock pot.

Sauté diced onion, carrots, green bell pepper and garlic until onion is translucent – about 5 minutes. 

Add spices, mix well and continue to simmer for a minute or two. 

Add broth, can tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and Hominy. Continue cooking until sweet potatoes are tender. 

Before serving add ½ cup lime juice and ½ cup chopped cilantro. Stir well and serve. 

Garnish with fried tortilla strips, avocado and lime slices. Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! I've never had a pozole before, but I love spicy food. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty delicious. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Thanks so much for commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. Yum, yum. Spicy & delicious. My kind of meal. Great job, mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is truly delicious. Hope you give it a try. xo

    ReplyDelete